Palawan is a distinct paradise. To protect and conserve it would necessitate collaborative and concerted efforts from key players in society. The establishment of Palawan Knowledge Partners (PKP) on December 11, 2014 through a Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) signed between PCSDS and 15 other public and private partners, serves as a formal platform for collaborative sharing of information and deliberation on Palawan’s biodiversity ─ instrumental in keeping Palawan as the country’s last ecological frontier.
The website https://pkp-new.pcsd.gov.ph/ is a compendium of Palawan’s biodiversity information sources. It is a reservoir of knowledge on the environment, indigenous people, climate change, and on the other concerns that affect the Palawan archipelago. This wealth of information is contributed by the dedicated and esteemed members of the PKP, which now comprises 34 partners from both the public and private sectors.
The PKP partners actively share knowledge among each other through regular meetings and in three (3) collaborative activities: 1) Palawan research conferences, which have evolved into the International Conference on Biosphere and Sustainability; 2) Research on the “Study on Mercury in Humans and Wildlife [Flora and Fauna]; and 3) Review and updating of the Palawan Research and Sustainable Development Agenda, among other endeavors.
Here are the Palawan Knowledge Platform (PKP) members for biodiversity and sustainable development of Palawan:
𝑮𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒏𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝑨𝒈𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒊𝒆𝒔 & 𝑨𝒄𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒊𝒄 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔:
1. Provincial Government of Palawan
2. City Government of Puerto Princesa
3. Department of Agrarian Reform – Provincial Agrarian Reform Office – Palawan
4. Department of Agriculture-Palawan Research Experiment Station
5. Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources-Palawan
6. Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Palawan
7. Department of Science and Technology – Provincial Science and Technology Center – Palawan
8. Philippine Statistics Authority
9. National Commission on Indigenous People-Palawan
10. Tubbataha Management Office (TMO)
11. Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park (PPSRNP)
12. Puerto Princesa City Water District
13. Holy Trinity University
14. Palawan State University
15. Western Philippines University
16. Palawan Polytechnic College Inc.
17. Department of Education – Schools Division of Puerto Princesa City
18. Fullbright College
𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥 𝐒𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫s:
1. Forest Foundation Philippines
2. The Zoological Society of London
3. Conservation International
4. World Wildlife Fund Philippines
5. Katala Foundation Incorporated
6. Palawan NGO Network Incorporated
7. Centre for Sustainability Philippines
8. Environmental Legal Assistance Center, Inc.
9. Sulubaai Environmental Foundation
10. Palawan Biodiversity Conservation Advocates Inc.
11. Large Marine Vertebrates Research Institute Philippines
12. Center for Conservation Innovations PH Inc
13. Community Centered Conservation
14. Aquos Foundation
15. Philippine Biodiversity Conservation Foundation
16. Environment and Climate Change Research Institute (ECCRI)
In light of their unbending and committed sacrifice and contribution in advancing the knowledge and understanding of Palawan’s biodiversity, the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development Staff (PCSDS) bestows the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Peace and Partnership Award 2022 to all of the members of PKP; for their outstanding promotion of peace, transparency, governance, and participatory engagement of various sectors or institutions in Palawan Biosphere Reserves.
Congratulations, and mabuhay to all of you!