Republic of the Philippines
PALAWAN COUNCIL FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
PCSD RESOLUTION NO. 95-68
RESOLUTION CREATING A PROTECTED AREA MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE (PAMC) FOR EACH OF THE PROTECTED AREAS IN THE PROVINCE OF PALAWAN.
WHEREAS, R.A. 7611, otherwise known as the Strategic Environmental Plan (SEP) for Palawan, took effect on 19 June 1992 and Section of said Act provides that the SEP shall serve as the framework to guide the government agencies concerned in the formulation of plans, programs and projects affecting the environment and natural resources of Palawan.
WHEREAS, Section 16 of R.A. 7611 provides that the governance, implementation and policy direction of the SEP shall be exercised by the Palawan Council For Sustainable Development (PCSD), under the Office of the President;
WHEREAS, Sections 7-11 of said Act provides for the establishment of an in environmentally Critical Areas Network (ECAN), the main strategy of SEP which is a graded system of protection and development control over the whole of Palawan, including its tribal lands, forests, mines, agricultural areas, settlement areas, small islands, mangroves, coral reefs, seagrass beds and the surrounding sea;
WHEREAS, the PCSD, in its 23rd Council meeting held on 16 February 1994, adopted the guidelines in implementing the ECAN, prescribing among others, the allowable activities within the identified zones.
WHEREAS, the Department of Justice (DOJ) through its Opinion No. 90 issued on 20 June 1994 states that for Palawan it is the Council (PCSD) which shall administer and manage protected areas in accordance with among others, the applicable provisions of the NIPAS law;
NOW THEREFORE, upon unanimous by all the members of the Council present, the Council;
RESOLVED, as it hereby resolve, that there shall be created by the Council a Protected Area Management Committee (PAMC) for each of the protected areas in the Province of Palawan.
RESOLVED FURTHER, that:
1. As far as applicable, the membership of PAMC shall be as follows:
- the local chief executive(s) where the protected area is located
- a representative form the Western Command,
- a representative from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, preferably its Regional Executive Director,
- a representative from the Department of Agriculture, preferably a senior official from the regional office of its Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources,
- the Executive Director of the PCSD Staff of his duly authorized representative,
- the Congressman or his duly authorized representative under whose jurisdiction the protected area is located,
- a representative from the Provincial Government, preferably the Provincial Planning and Development Officer or the Provincial ENRO or the Provincial Agriculturist,
- representative(s) from non-government organizations, local community organizations and/or the private sector, and
- and representative from other agencies and and/or institutions involved in protected area management. Unless specifically identified by the Council, the PCSD Staff shall recommend to the Council the names of the actual persons who shall become members of the PAMC.
2. The members of the PAMC shall;
- elect from among themselves a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman and a Secretary,
- serve for a term of two ears, unless earlier revoked or extended by the council, and serve without compensation, except for actual and necessary traveling subsistence expenses incurred in the performance of their duties and subject to availability of funds.
- The PCSD Staff shall, in coordination with concerned agencies, formulate a general management planning strategy to serve as guide in formulating individual plans for each protected area. The strategy shall at the minimum, promote the adoption and implementation of innovative management techniques including the concept of zoning, buffer zones management for multiple use and protection, habitat conservation and rehabilitation, diversity management, community organizing, socio- economic and scientific researches, site-specific policy development, past management, and fires control, and guidelines for the protection of indigenous cultural communities, other tenured migrant communities and sites, and for close coordination between and among local agencies of the Government and as well as the private sector.
- The PAMC shall, by a majority vote,
- prepare and recommend to the Council for approval a Management Plan for the area,
- endorse and recommend to the Council proposals for funding,
- decide matters relating to planning,. Protection and general administration of the area in accordance with the general management strategy, and
- prepare and submit an annual report to the Council.
RESOLVED FINALLY that copies of this resolution be sent to the concerned agencies and local government units for their information, consideration and appropriate action;
APPROVED AND ADOPTED this 5th day of January, 1995 in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan.
|CERTIFIED TRUE AND CORRECT||APPROVED|
|GOV.SALVADOR P. SOCRATES