Republic of the Philippines
PALAWAN COUNCIL FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
PCSD RESOLUTION NO. 01-180
A RESOLUTION CREATING A TECHNICAL WORKING GROUP FOR PALAWAN FLORA, FAUNA AND WATERSHED RESERVE (TWG-PFFWR)
WHEREAS, Section 6 of RA 7611 otherwise known as the Strategic Environmental Plan (SEP) for Palawan Act provides that the SEP shall serve as the framework to guide the local government agencies concerned in the formulation and implementation of plans, programs and projects affecting the province;
WHEREAS, Section 16 of the same law provides that the governance, implementation and policy direction of the SEP shall be exercised by the PCSD and the PCSDS shall serve as its regular professional staff mandated to coordinate the policy and functions, implement programs and organize such services for the Council;
WHEREAS, the SEP Law stipulates that the Environmentally Critical Areas Network (ECAN, a graded system of protection and development control over the whole of Palawan shall ensure protection of watersheds, preservation of biological diversity and protection of tribal people and the preservation of their culture among others;
WHEREAS, Section 3 (i) of RA 7160 stipulates that LGU shall share with the national government the responsibility of managing and maintaining ecological balance within their territorial jurisdiction, subject to the provisions national policies;
WHEREAS, even prior to the two Presidential Proclamations, PD 2221 in 1982 and PD 2465 in 1986, declaring the Palawan Flora, Fauna and Watershed Reserve (PFFWR) in Irawan, Puerto Princesa City, the national government have recognized such area as a critical watershed and has been singled out for being the habitat of diverse and biologically important flora and fauna;
WHEREAS, there are management issues that need to be resolved due to conflicting resource uses being pursued by various stakeholders in the area;
WHEREAS, based on the consultations with the concerned agencies and stakeholders spearheaded by the PCSDS it was agreed that there is an urgency to create a Multi Partite Technical Working Group to address the aforementioned problems and issues and come up with the best management option for the PFFWR;
WHEREFORE, on motion duly seconded, be it RESOLVED as it is hereby RESOLVED, to create, as it is hereby CREATED, a multi-partite Technical Working Group for Palawan Flora, Fauna and Watershed Reserve (TWG-PFFWR), whose composition and functions are as follows:
Section 1. Composition. The head of the following agencies, barangays, organizations or their duly authorized representatives, shall constitute the TWG-PFFWR:
- Environment and Natural Resources Office of Puerto Princesa City
- Puerto Princesa City Water District
- PENRO/CENRO of the Department of Environment & Natural Resources
- Nagkakaisang Tribu ng Palawan (NATRIPAL)
- Brgy. Simpocan
- Brgy Irawan
- Brgy Bacungan
- Brgy Iwahig
- People’s organizations (PO’s) in the PFFWR.
- Planning Department of Puerto Princesa City
- Palawan Council for Sustainable Development Staff (PCSDS)
- Palawan Tropical Forestry Protection Programme (PTFPP)
Section 2. Chairman, Co-Chairman and Secretariat. The TWG when duly constituted shall elect from among themselves a Chairman and Co-Chairman, who shall preside in all meetings and report regularly to the PCSD. The Chairman shall provide the technical and administrative secretariat and shall be responsible for the formal organization of the TWG.
Section 3. Duties and Functions: The PFFWR-TWG shall have the following duties and functions:
- Assist in the formulation of the management plan;
- Act as advisory/recommendatory body to the management of PFFWR and other concerned agencies;
- Provide technical assistance in the management of PFFWR;
- Review plans and programs for implementation in the PFFWR;
- Assist in the conduct of IEC;
- Source out funds from funding institution;
- Assist in the enforcement of forestry laws and regulations; and
- Monitor and evaluate plans and programs implemented in the area.
RESOLVED FINALLY, that copy of this resolution be furnished all concerned agencies for their information and appropriate action.
APPROVED and ADOPTED this 2nd day of March 2001 in Coron, Palawan.
I hereby certify to the correctness and accuracy of the above-quoted resolution.
ATTY. JOSELITO C. ALISUAG
HON. ALFREDO E. ABUEG ,JR.