The legitimization of Republic Act 7611 or the Strategic Environmental Plan for Palawan Act launched not only a distinct and proactive law but also introduced a unique body that carries powerful responsibility and locally working only in one province like Palawan. While SEP is a national law, its effectivity covers only Palawan. This body is called the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development (PCSD).
The PCSD is a multi-sectoral and inter-disciplinary body, which under the law is charged with the governance, implementation and policy direction of the SEP.
FUNCTIONS OF THE COUNCIL
- Formulate plans and policies as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act;
- Coordinate with the local governments to ensure that the latter’s plans, programs and projects are aligned with the plans, programs and policies of the SEP;
- Coordinate with local government and private agencies/organizations for cooperation and assistance in the performance of its functions;
- Arrange, negotiate for, and accept donations, grants, gifts, loans, and other funding from domestic and foreign sources to carry out the activities and purposes of the SEP;
- Recommend to the Congress of the Philippines such matters that may require legislation in support of the objectives of the SEP;
- Delegate its powers and functions to its Support Staff;
- Establish policies and guidelines on compensation and staffing pattern;
- Adopt, amend and rescind such rules and regulations related to the SEP;
- Enforce the provisions of the SEP Law;
- Perform related functions which shall promote the development, conservation, management, protection, and utilization of the natural resources of Palawan.
COMPOSITION OF THE COUNCIL
- Gov. Jose Ch. Alvarez (Provincial Governor) – Chairman
- Vice Gov. Victorino Dennis M. Socrates (Sangguniang Panlalawigan) – Vice Chair
- Dir. Nelson P. Devanadera ( Executive Director, PCSDS) – Secretary
- Usec. Adoracion M. Navarro (Deputy Director General, NEDA) – Member
- Usec. Rodolfo C. Garcia (Undersecretary, DENR) – Member
- Usec. Ariel T. Cayanan (Undersecretary, DA) – Member
- Hon Lucilo R. Bayron (City Mayor of Puerto Princesa City)
- Hon. Amy R. Alvarez (Pres., League of Municipalities) – Member
- Hon. Ferdinand D. Zaballa (Liga ng mga Barangay) – Member
- Mr. Bobby Castro (Private Sector) – Member
- Atty. Jansen Jontila (NGO Representative) – Member
- VADM RENE V MEDINA (WESCOM COMMANDER) – MEMBER
The PCSD is headed by a chairman, which is elected among the members of the Council once every three years, a vice chairman, while the Executive Director of the PCSD Staff acts as the Secretary.
The composition of the Council varies on the prevalent issues and concerns faced for a particular year. From these members, mandated members include the Congressmen from the two districts of Palawan, Governor of Palawan, Deputy Director General of National Economic & Development Authority, Undersecretaries of Department of Environment & Natural Resources, Department of Agriculture, Mayor of Puerto Princesa City, President of League of Municipalities of Palawan, President of Liga ng mga Barangay, representatives from the Office of the President, Palawan Provincial Board, Non-Government Organizations, Military, business, tribal sectors and the Philippine National Police-Provincial Command.