Republic of the Philippines
PALAWAN COUNCIL FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
PCSD RESOLUTION NO. 94-49
RESOLUTION CREATING A STUDY COMMITTEE ON ULUGAN BAY
WHEREAS, R.A 7611, otherwise known as the Strategic Environmental Plan (SEP) for Palawan, took effect on June 19, 1992 and Sections 4 and 6 of said Act provide that the SEP for Palawan shall serve as the comprehensive framework to guide the local government of Palawan and the government agencies concerned in the formulation and implementation of plans, programs and projects effecting the Province including its environment and natural resources.
WHEREAS, the same Act states in Section 5 that the SEP for Palawan shall have, as its general philosophy, the sustainable development of the Province;
WHEREAS, Section 16 of the same Act provides of the governance, implementation and policy direction of the SEP shall exercised by the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development (PCSD);
WHEREAS, His Excellency President Fidel V. Ramos, During His last visit to the Province has verbally approved the City Governments proposed Wildlife Sanctuary and Eco-tourism Center in Ulugan Bay, provided however that a Naval Reservation will also be located in the said Bay considering its strategic importance to the country’s national interest;
WHEREAS, the council was directed by the President to look into the matter and submit its findings and recommendations on his Excellency as soon as possible;
WHEREAS, the city Government of Puerto Princesa and the Western Command presented their respective proposal for a wildlife Sanctuary and Eco-tourism center and a Naval reservation, respectively, both to be located in Ulugan Bay, to the Council During its, 26th Regular Meeting;
WHEREAS, although the council considers the compatibility of both proposal, it recognizes as well the overlapping proposed boundaries, the possible incompatibility of specific activities, its potential environment impact, its repercussions to the local communities and the general complexity of problem attendant to the activities within the Ba and its adjoining areas, i.e tourism, fishing, agriculture, sanctuaries, reservation, parks, settlement, forestry, etc.
NOW THEREFORE, upon motion by NEDA Deputy Director General Aniceto Sobrepeña, unanimously seconded by all the members of the Council present;
RESOLVED, as it hereby resolved, that a study Committee in Ulugan Bay be created, to be chaired by the Regional Executive Director of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), co-chaired by the Governor of Palawan and Reporting directly to the Council;
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the following or their duly authorized representative, shall composed the membership of the committee:
1. City Mayor of Puerto Princesa.
2. Commanding General of the Western Command.
3. Regional Director of the Department of Agriculture.
4. Executive Director of the Public Estates Authority.
5. Provincial Planning and Development Officer.
6. City Planning and Development Officer.
7. President of the Ulugan Bay Foundation.
8. Chairperson of Barangay Bahile, Puerto Princesa.
9. Chairperson of Barangay Macarascas, Puerto Princesa.
10. Chairperson of Barangay Tagabinet, Puerto Princesa.
11. Chairperson of Barangay Buenavista, Puerto Princesa.
12. Executive Director of the PCSD Staff, acting as the Secretary of the Committee.
That the Committee shall have the following as function:
1. Define and Recommended to the conduct of a Master Plan Study for Ulugan Bay. The master Plan Study may include but not limited to the following:
- general land use plan for the Bay and its environs, within the provisions of the Environmentally Critical Areas Network (ECAN).
- detailed land use plan or zoning for each specific sanctuaries or reservations.
- definition of allowable activities and management controls.
- A & E design of required infrastructures.
- institutional arrangement and local participation.
2. Identify and recommend to the Council the possible funding sources (s) for the Study.
3. Other functions as the Committee and the Council may deem necessary for the immediate proclamation of the Wildlife Sanctuary and the Naval Reservation, without prejudice to the outcome of the Study.
RESOLVED FINALLY, that a copy of this resolution be furnished to his Excellency President Fidel V. Ramos and to all concerned agencies for their information and appropriate action.
APPROVED AND ADOPTED this 27th day of May, 1994 in Puerto Princesa City.
|ROLAND F. RODRIGUEZ|
Secretary & Executive Director
|Attested:SALVADOR P. SOCRATES|
For PDF Copy Click Here.