Republic of the Philippines
PALAWAN COUNCIL FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
PCSD RESOLUTION NO. 92-10
RESOLUTION DECLARING A TOTAL-WAR POLICY AGAINST ILLEGAL FISHING IN THE PROVINCE OF PALAWAN AND VIGOROUSLY URGING THE STRENGTHENING OF EXISTING MECHANISM AND PROCEDURE FOR EFFECTIVE ENFORCEMENT OF THIS DECLARED POLICY
WHEREAS, illegal fishing has remained to be a serious problem in the Province of Palawan:
WHEREAS, prevalent illegal fishing methods are those involving the use of explosives or dynamites and obnoxious or poisonous substances such as sodium cyanide, which cause tremendous destruction to marine resources particularly coral reefs:
WHEREAS, marginal or sustenance fishing benefit small fisher folks as well as legitimate commercial fishing, which contribute considerably to the country’s food supply, have suffered in terms of depletion of fishing and marine resources because of these illegal fishing activities;
WHEREAS, the strategic Environmental Program for Palawan envisions the sustainable exploitation and development of among others, the rich marine resources of the province;
WHEREAS, to strengthen existing mechanism and procedure against illegal fishing more vigorous measures have to be adopted and pursued;
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED:
I. That the PALAWAN COUNCIL FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT. In pursuance of its mandate to carryout the Strategic Environmental Program for Palawan under Republic Act 7611 hereby declares a total-war policy against illegal fishing and strongly urges its component executive and administrative agencies to effect the immediate adoption and full and strict implementation or stronger measures to fight the same such measures to include but not to be limited to the follows:
- The regulations of the sale transfer possession and use or sodium cyanide in such a manner that only legitimate use thereof shall be allowed;
- The removal of the provision on P.D 704 for administrative compromise for violations of fishing and related laws;
- The immediate detention of fishing vessels and paraphernalia use in connection with illegal fishing and non-release thereof unless with judicial authority;
- The removal of the privilege of probation for those found guilty of illegal fishing and related laws ;
- That with specific reference to sodium cyanide fishing the establishment of the presumption that possession of such substance without the proper authority is deemed or illegal fishing purposes;
- The provision of adequate funding, personnel and equipment as are necessary for a more effective campaign against illegal fishing;
- The employment of more safeguards against the lucrative live fish business which invariably depends on the use of sodium cyanide.
II. That while some of the above-cited measures necessitate or are presently covered by pending legislative proposals, executive and administrative agencies such as the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Interior and Local Government and the Department of Defense can issue interim rules to enforce the same in the exercise of their administrative and regulatory functions.
III. That, pursuant to Sec. 9 of Republic Act No. 7611, all agencies concerned are enjoined to immediately implement the above-cited measures as may be presently competently acted upon, pending legislative action, and that the measures taken to enforce the same be made known to the Council within a period of thirty (30) days from receipt of this Resolution.
ROLAND F. RODRIGUEZ